Property Investment Support Roles

Property Strategist

The Property Strategist’s fundamental role is to guide you through the property investments process and achieve the optimum investment strategy for your individual needs.  This is the person who provides you with valuable insights and information and ensures you avoid costly mistakes.  The Property Strategist helps you to:

  • Assess your current position, using the specialists in your team to create total clarity
  • Define financial commitments
  • Create a strategy with the support of the right team
  • Assist in implementing that strategy, guiding you at every step
  • Help in securing the RIGHT property for your portfolio’s maximum growth
  • Support and guide you at every stage of the purchase process
  • Encourage you in growing your property portfolio
  • Identify the optimal investment strategies to fit your personal situation

All the analysis and recommendations in this process take account of your personal life position and potential future risks.

The job isn’t done until you, the investor has received your first rent deposit into your bank account.

Even then, your Property Investment Strategist has more work to do for you.  They’ll look at how you can acquire multiple properties over several years. 

Property Research Analyst

In the Strategic Investors world, we have dedicated staff members who continuously review the Australian market to find a range of viable property investments.  The Property Research Analyst will look at a range of factors in the marketplace to assess properties.  This includes conducting macroeconomic, microeconomic, capital market and property market research and analysis.

Our Property Research Analyst reviews property data from several resources, including RP Data.  He takes into account trends in the marketplace, major infrastructure projects, industrial development, and much more.

An essential part of the role is to examine historical information and identify any repeatable trends.  Equally critical is to maintain financial modelling information on potential acquisitions.  The Property Research Analyst also;


  • Serves as an expert in property investment with extensive detailed knowledge of the macro and micro factors effecting the market
  • Analyses and creates reports on local property markets, taking into account employment statistics, corporate activities, industry trends, and demographics.

Property Manager

A Property Manager oversees and manages a real estate property on behalf of a property owner for a fee.

A Property Manager handles all aspects of caring for the property and dealing with the tenant on behalf of the owner.   Typical activities include;

  • Finding tenants
  • Collecting rent
  • Managing maintenance of the property
  • Property inspections
  • Managing evictions

A good Property Manager is an organised communicator who works effectively with the tenants and the property owner.  They take proactive responsibility for your property, treating it as their own.  They also have good relationships with dedicated, reliable maintenance and trades service providers.


Investment Acquisitions

The Property Acquisition Team, also known as Buyer’s Agent or Buyer’s Advocate, represents the purchaser in property investment transactions.  They work on behalf of the buyer to negotiate the best possible property deal.

Loyalty is to you, the buyer – and only to you!  The goal is to get you the best possible deal on the best possible property.

The Property Acquisition team uses information provided by the Property Researcher to find properties that meet your investing requirements.  They usually give you several options and provide a report explaining the pros and cons of each property.

Financial Adviser

A Financial Adviser is anyone who helps manage your money – and not necessarily a Financial Planner.

A Financial Adviser is more ‘hands-on”.  They may buy and sell stocks, manage investments, prepare estate plans and create comprehensive tax plans.

A Financial Planner works with you to build long term financial goals. These experts often specialise in a particular area, such as tax, estate planning, shares, property or retirement. 

Under Australian law, Financial Planners must hold an Australian Financial Services Licence to practise. Not all are equal, and some are only licensed to recommend certain types of investment.  When choosing a financial planner, it is important to consider what they are licensed to recommend.


An accountant performs financial accounting functions, including record-keeping, preparing or auditing financial statements and accounts, auditing and tax analysis.  Accountants are highly trained and must be certified.

Your accountant may supply tax and financial information to the Australian Taxation Office.  They are under a legal obligation to ensure that the financial representation is true and accurate.

Legal Advisors

Legal Advisers in the property investment industry include conveyancers and solicitors.

They assist with purchase contracts, property investigations, the drafting of legal documents, negotiations, and dispute resolution.  They will also ensure Council searches are performed prior to property settlement to confirm that the property is legally approved and that the documentation matches the property on the ground.

Your legal adviser will support you with legal matters, paperwork and decisions throughout the property investing process.

The difference between solicitors and conveyancers

Solicitors and conveyancers are equally capable of providing many of the legal services required in property investing.  The critical difference is that a solicitor has a full legal qualification while a conveyancer is only qualified in property law.  As such, a solicitor can advise and represent you in court matters, but a conveyancer cannot.



Property Inspectors

A Property inspection is vital for a purchaser to obtain an independent assessment of the condition and safety of the property.

A Property Inspector inspects, assesses, and reports on a real estate property condition.  They would typically write a comprehensive report covering all aspects of property from the quality of building works, council and building compliance, sewage, rising damp, and electrical compliance.  Their report should cover any repairs or refurbishments that are required.  A pest inspection may be included or ordered separately.

A property inspection is typically done as part of the due diligence on a property sale.  Often financial institutions will require a property inspection report before approving a loan.

Home Inspections should not be confused with Property Appraisal experts (Valuers / Property Valuations).  A property valuation is required for almost every mortgage loan.  Only Licensed Property Valuers are able to perform this activity, and they are always independent and assigned by the mortgage lender.

Mortgage & Finance Brokers

A Mortgage Broker is an expert in the many and constantly changing mortgage options financial lending institutions provide.  Most lending institutions offer a range of products for potential borrowers, and there are literally hundreds of different financial products on the market.

Your Mortgage Broker will navigate through all the possible options to find the best loan for your circumstances.  They will also help you complete your finance application to get you the very best loan available without affecting your credit rating.

The Broker acts on your behalf, enabling you to get the optimal deal for your circumstances without being limited to just one institution.

Finance Brokers must be licenced and registered.  They are paid only when your loan application is successfully completed and approved.  Typically, they earn their fees from the lending institution.


Insurance Brokers

An Insurance Broker in an expert in the thousands of different insurance offerings available from dozens of Insurance providers.

Your insurance broker will identify and confirm out your specific insurance requirements.  They frequently offer recommendations on the types of insurances you should consider, based on their experience.  They will also explain to you the details of different types of insurance and the different policies available.

Insurance Brokers must be licensed and comply with all governing statutes and regulations.  They receive a commission from the company providing the insurance.

Quantity Surveyor

Quantity Surveyors specialise in Tax Depreciation.

They are one of only a few professions allowed by the Tax Office to calculate the cost of items for depreciation (Tax Ruling 97/25) and must be registered.

 A specialist property quantity surveyor is an invaluable resource in property investing.  They calculate the depreciable value to ensure that the investor maximises their deductions.  The Quantity Surveyor will provide the tax depreciation schedule for all the depreciable assets in a property that be claimed in the asset lifespan.  They will measure rooms, record the brand and model number of any assets, and photograph improvements at the property.

In most cases, a Property Depreciation Quantity Surveyor specialist can improve your depreciation amounts by over 40%.